26 September 2009

Flip-Flopper

Flip-Flop: a sudden real or apparent change of policy or opinion by a public official, sometimes while trying to claim that both positions are consistent with each other.

What shows greater understanding? Steadfastly holding to your beliefs no matter what the evidence, or the willingness to reexamine and change if necessary? In politics it's easy, you're never allowed to change your mind. If you support one thing, you must support it forever.

However, in life, it seems incredibly dumb to me that 'staying the course' could have such a positive ring to it. The ability to change our minds, to admit our faults is one that makes us better people.

I say all this because I just changed my mind. From a decision I made two years ago and have clung to tenaciously ever since. I just dropped out of grad school. I was supposed to be starting next week in an Environmental Archaeology course. But it was a bad decision. It was a bad decision when I made it two years ago - although I didn't see it as such and I spent a great deal of time convincing myself and others it was the right one. The last two years of my life have been all about this one choice. Turning from it now is one of the most difficult decisions I have ever made.

And there are people who are going to see it as a weakness in my character. That I am somehow less of a person for not sticking with the decisions I have made. But I can admit when I am wrong, and while there is no guarantee that the new path I have chosen is any better I must say that for the first time in a long time...

I am excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment